Feature Request - Rules for Descriptions

Can we have rules for transaction descriptions? I am forever renaming transactions, to make the transaction more meaningful.

Especially useful would be the ability to manually create rules using wildcards. This would be very powerful and really flexible, especially given the number of transactions that include values or dates in their description making auto-matching rules impossible.

Here are an example of some of the rules I would create:-

Transaction Description is “Amzn Digital” Rename to “Amazon”
Transaction Description contains “ATM” Rename to “Cashpoint”
Transaction Description starts with “PGO” Rename to “Army Pension”

We could also take it one step further and allow manual rules against Categories where the auto matching fails:-

Transaction Description starts with “PGO” change Category to “Income Pension”

2 Likes

Hi - any thoughts on this request? Must admit I am fed up with always having to rename descriptions to something that is more meaningful to me. A simple answer would be to allow us to create “Rules” that can update descriptions.

Hi @Phil89a

Great idea I have put it into our internal product group for consideration. We 100% need to expand the rules system at some point to give more flexibility.

Liam

1 Like

How about proposing a basic model framework on the forum and engage users to participate?

1 Like

@richarddougal Yeah getting ideas onto the forums and getting the community to engage is something I have been encouraging the team to do. Hopefully we will be doing more of it over the coming months :slight_smile:

I thought I did in my original posting; or do you want more detail? I thought it is a fairly simple - and common - rule based approach.

"Especially useful would be the ability to manually create rules using wildcards. This would be very powerful and really flexible, especially given the number of transactions that include values or dates in their description making auto-matching rules impossible.

Here are an example of some of the rules I would create:-

Transaction Description is “Amzn Digital” Rename to “Amazon”
Transaction Description contains “ATM” Rename to “Cashpoint”
Transaction Description starts with “PGO” Rename to “Army Pension”

We could also take it one step further and allow manual rules against Categories where the auto matching fails:-

Transaction Description starts with “PGO” change Category to “Income Pension” "

I meant for everything, not just the enhancement you posted to improve the usability for anyone new.

Sorry but you lost me. Must be too early in the morning and pre coffee. I thought you were talking about just the enhancement for a description rules processing engine. Not sure what you mean.

I meant general rules for everything. Like the two credit cards I’ve had during my time using MD, the payment of the monthly net bill by default has gone on as an extra expense, and the receipt of cash on my credit card as extra income.

They generally have the same reference, but when they don’t, two entries in/out mapped accounts for the same value and value date, in my opinion should be matched off and ignored separately as ‘inter account transfers’.

Or with Wealthify, every time it rebalances your portfolio, it counts sales as extra income, and new buys as another expense. They are neither in my opinion and should also be ignored or netted.

The rules or base line setup, including your idea could be improved a lot to reduce the setup for new users and encourage more to stay on the platform.

There should also be a third bucket - Income/Expense/Savings.