World-shattering event - How will your life change?

The Coronavirus restrictions have forced us all to live and work in different ways.
When the restrictions are eased, what will you be looking to change permanently in your life?

Work - will you be asking to work from home more? Less business travel and more video-conferencing?
Holidays - less foreign travel or will you be glad to get away again?
Fitness - return to the gym or is home-based fitness working well for you?
Food - more cooking at home or will you be happy to get back to restaurants?

1 Like

Also Shopping - have you gotten used to home delivery for everything? Will you be less inclined to visit a physical shop when they open again?

Great questions @jamie.mcdonald. I am sharing my experience below

Work - Working from home is a positive experience. I would be more comfortable doing it in the future (even if I still prefer to my in the office with my colleagues, a proper desk and 2 screens).
Holidays - travelling is very important for me and I will continue to do so (and to pay for my travel insurance)
Fitness - the lack of fitness is terrible for me. I can’t wait to walk a lot again
Food - I normally mostly cook at home. I will be happy to eat out again but probably not immediately after the end of the lockdown until everything is fully settle down
Shopping - I buy a lot online, including getting my weekly grocery shopping delivered for years, and will continue to do so. But I will try to support local shops in my area when possible.

Work - will you be asking to work from home more? Less business travel and more video-conferencing?
Well, as I’ve just been made redundant from my current job as my employers can’t justify anyone who’s not actively generating income in the current circumstances, I’ll be looking for Software Support jobs working from home.

Holidays - less foreign travel or will you be glad to get away again?
We mostly take holidays in the UK with our elderly dog in our Motorhome, so apart from the sudden influx of first time campers making it more difficult to find pitches, not much change.

Fitness - return to the gym or is home-based fitness working well for you?
I’ve never been a fan of “fitness” as an activity. I’m missing my Salsa classes, and I’ve done a few dance-based fitness routines, but it’s been very hit and miss

Food - more cooking at home or will you be happy to get back to restaurants?
We do like eating out from time to time, but we can live without it for a while. The biggest change is that because I’ve been at home, I’ve had more time to do batch cooking for the freezer.

Julie

1 Like

Work - Working from home was an ‘experience’. At first I was super productive, no one walking over and asking “have you got 5 minutes to look at this”, and turning into half an hour. Now I’m past that, its a bit like what next, lost of other things appear sluggish.

Holidays - Well last year the furthest I managed to travel was about 26 miles. Life is short. As soon as I can get out of my council zone again, I will.

Fitness - I’ve always been into running, and started eating a lot healthier, I lost about 4kg by the summer. I have a rough racing weight, and was about 2kg off that. I’ve now put all the weight back on as padding for winter.

Food - I was super healthy at the start, following all the guidelines, making a shopping list of what I needed to minimise social interaction with others and cooking at home. THEN when things started opening back up, when I walked/ran past places that had opened up again that I was so used to seeing bustling with people, being totally empty, I used the excuse that I had to do my part to keep local businesses going and probably had 2-3 take away meals a week. I also have a sweet tooth, and am trying to wean myself off Coke/Irn Bru again.

Overall, I think I appreciate things more and need to get back into good habits. The weather getting better will help with that.